Instrumental from the 60s

Thread: Instrumental from the 60s

Tags: None

logan01 said:

Default Instrumental from the 60s

This was a very popular instrumental which usually played as the song going into the news at the top of the hour on A.M. radio. May have been Dave Brubeck.. Listen closely: duhduh, duhduh duh duh duh duh duhduh, duhduh duh duh duh duh duhduh.......... The duhs are fairly sharp and I believe they include brass. From those, it goes into a piano with a soft stroll-like melody. I have trouble keeping "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" out of my head as I hum this song. The piano part sounds like it would lead right into Cast....... I'm pretty certain it is a seperate song and not part of Cast...... I have downloaded upteen Cast.......... and I don't believe that's it. Thanks folks. Have fun atmaster.

atmaestro said:

Oh gee thanks for giving me the ultimate brain teaser right before I go to bed. In the early sixties, The Ventures were my favorite instrumental rock band. I'm a gonner have to let this one simmer for a while. Check you later.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

logan01 said:

Thanks atmaster. It could also be the Ramsey Lewis Trio. The piano part I remember was more along the lines of individual keys played vs chords and such. My memory, or lack thereof, tells me the whole tune could be performed with a trumpet and piano. The song is very strong so to speak yet the piano part is soft in a way similar to the piano in "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head". I'm ready for the correct response now.

atmaestro said:

This is just mean. Keep it up and you're "...gettin' nuthin' for Christmas"

atmaestro said:

I'm old but I am afraid that Dave Brubeck and Ramsey Lewis were before my time. If your 'quest is in their venue, it's not gonner be in any of the memory cells that survived my college drinking years.

Moving forward to the mid-sixties,...
    With piano and trumpet as the primary instruments, the Ventures are definitely out of the picture. Trumpet makes me think of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass but their style is so distinctive you would recognize immediately. Plus I can't remember any of their songs that featured piano even as a secondary instrument.

Alas, I must yet again retire for the evening, a defeated man. May be tomorrow...

logan01 said:

I'm so old I can't remember if they were before my time. This song was probably current during the Heb Alpert era. For some reason, probably age, I couldn't stand that song. Growing up in Dallas, Texas, it was a common song to be heard leading into the news on Top 40 stations; much the same as Telstar and songs of that genre. I classify it as jazz, however, I'm not the best classifier. It was extremely popular, probably gold. In high school, along with the marching band, there were also smaller ensembles commomly referred to as "dance bands". This would have been a song found in their repertoire. Atmaster, you have so much info now that I relly expect great results from you soon. The only thing I have going over you is that I actually know how the tune goes Get to work.

logan01 said:

Default Answered

This has been solved by another person in another universe. The title is "Soulful Strut" by Young Holt Unlimited, Ramsey Lewis Trio and several others. Thanks to all who have helped with this insane quest.