2001: A Space Odyssey

Thread: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Tags: None

logan01 said:

Default 2001: A Space Odyssey

Today I was watching some of the President Ford services on Fox News. At one point, the Fox folks were speaking highly of him while showing some clips. The music they were playing sounded like the theme to 2001 where at the beginning you have the trumpets leading up to the tiffany drums followed by the full orchestral remainder of the theme. The Fox broadcast had the part of the theme played only by the trumpets, as though only that part was looped. I don't believe it was a loop. It sounded like it was made that way and it only consisted of the notes (da da daaaaa< the end gets higher / da da daaaa< the end gets lower. That string is then repeated a time or two and at a higher / lower level, octave or whatever the correct term is. Is that one of the songs in the soundtrack [I'm not going to listen to each and every clip at Amazon so please don't ask] or does anyone know if someone did a version with pretty much trumpets bugles,etc. only? I guess you could say it was a dignified and solemn version of the theme. Thanks.
    Last edited by logan01; 01-02-2007 at 06:19 PM.

atmaestro said:

The name of the song is "Also sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss (circa 1895-6). It has been performed and recorded by hundreds of symphonic orchestras in the past hundred + years.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

logan01 said:

atmaster, I'm seeking a song (if it exists) which is made up of the first six notes of Also sprach Zarathustra which in the version I heard today are performed in their 2 groups of 3 note each. They are the only notes played by what sounds like a trumpet or bugle. Not knowing music, if they began at A, the next time they may begin at C and go back to A so on and so forth. Strauss and I go back a long way.

atmaestro said:

You may be forced to contact Fox News to get that specific recording.
    Sorry I can't be more help since I have had a very limited exposure to classical music (primarily Bugs Bunny cartoons and ELP).

logan01 said:

I appreciate your effort. I have never received a reply from FOX, ESPN, etc. regarding questions I've had in the past. It seem a bit strange, I do receive replies from companies who are not in the communications / media business; go figure.

logan01 said:

Default 2001: A Space Odyssey ANSWERED

Another poster in a different forum provided me with the correct answer.
    "Fanfare For The Common Man" by Aaron Copland

Additionally, it's an easy download from the Library of Congress @

Audio Brief Display: Fanfare for the common man / Aaron Copland [sound recording] : The Library of Congress Presents: Music, Theater and Dance

Thanks for your help everyone.

atmaestro said:

Now I'm really ashamed. All the clues were there; music for an American president, lots of trumpets and me, a rabid Emerson, Lake and Palmer (aka ELP) fan. ELP is also a big fan of Aaron Copeland and has recorded their arrangements of several of his songs including "Fanfare for the Common Man" (Works Vol. 1 album). When you get a chance, check out ELP's version.

logan01 said:

Oh yea. I'm a big ELP fan. I have no idea how I could have overlooked their version after, as you said, "all the clues were there". Thanks. Lucky Man is one of my favorite all time songs. They were definitely ahead of their time.